Summer Holiday Panic?
Need to get your body into shape quickly?
Here’s an exercise plan devoted to those all-important core muscles, which will give you the toned abs you’ve always dreamed of. And make you the envy of all your fellow holidaymakers!!
Remember to warm up before you start to avoid injury.
And check the details at the end of this post if you have a pre-existing medical condition.
- March on the spot for 3 minutes
- 60 heel digs
- 30 knee lifts
- Shoulder rolls – 5 forwards, 5 backwards twice
- 10 knee bends
THE CORE MUSCLE BEACH BODY WORKOUT
Do these exercises 5 times a day with 10 repetitions of each:
- Lay on your back, head flat on floor, hands by your sides
- Take your feet off the floor keeping knees inline with waist
- Slowly push feet out in front of you, straighten legs out and just before they lock pause and bring legs back in to waist level
- The closer your feet are to the floor when pushing out the harder it is
- It’s really important to keep your lower back flat on the floor. If you feel your back coming up off the floor then don’t push out as close to the floor
- Have your knees bent and the balls of your feet and heels placed flat on the ground
- Place your hands on opposing shoulders, so that your arms are crossed over your chest, or behind your head. This allows you a central rising point
- Tighten your abdominal muscles gently by drawing in your belly button to your spine
- Keeping your heels on the ground and your toes flat to the ground, slowly and gently lift your head first, followed by your shoulder blades
- Focus your eyes on your bent knees, all the while gently contracting the abdominal muscles. Pull up from the floor until you’re at a ninety-degree angle, or when the elbows are on, or past, the knees
- Hold the position for a second
- Slowly bring the torso back to the floor but try to keep it slightly elevated off the ground. Do not place your back flat to the ground but keep a slight, relaxed, arch
Straight leg crunches
This one improves circulation and, keeping your legs above your heart, it helps to work deeper into your abdominal wall.
- Keep your abs pulled in as you release your arms. Extend your elbows and reach your hands straight up to your shins.
- Reach your fingertips up further and contract your abs with each reach, 10-20 times.
- Make sure to keep your neck long by relaxing it and only using your core to reach your arms higher.
- Place your body in a straight line from head to feet with your elbow directly beneath your shoulders.
- Hold the position for 30 seconds, then repeat on the other side.
- Repeat (one on each side again)
- 30 seconds balancing on forearms and tip toes
- You can make it easier by using your elbows as in the image
- Keep body straight
- Hold core in
Cool down with some stretches
Ready to up the Ante?!! Try the Plank Challenge!!
Starting from the 30 second plank add 10 seconds each day up to 5 minutes.
Then you can call yourself a Plank Pro!
Have a lovely holiday!
If you’d like to take care of your fitness on a more long-term basis get in touch for a free personal fitness assessment and consultation. I would love to help you achieve your fitness goals.
IMPORTANT – PLEASE NOTE
If you suffer from any of the following medical conditions, or have previous injuries, you must consult a doctor before starting any exercise programme:
- Heart problems
- Joint problems
- High blood pressure
- Back pain
If you are pregnant or have not exercised for some time it is also advisable to visit your doctor first.